Having a need to factory reset my Proscan tablet, I noticed that, unlike the majority of Android phones I have owned, there is no ‘up’ or ‘down’ volume controls with which to enter the boot loader in order to perform this reset. Here is how I reset mine. This may also work with other models, but use at your own risk.
THIS WILL PERMANANTLY ERASE DATA ON YOUR TABLET. PERFORM THESE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
You will need: A paperclip.
Open out the paperclip. Locate the small reset hole (see photo). Note that this is not the labeled ‘reset’ button on the back of the tablet. Tablet should be off (and at least 50% charged) at this point.
Paperclip will be used in smallest hole, next to USB connector. Credit: zolygon.com
The paperclip is used to activate the reset button in this small hole; You will hear and feel a click of the inside button, in less than 15mm of insertion. Do not force unduly!
1. Insert paperclip, until you hear the click of the button. Keep paperclip inserted, and press and hold the black power button.
2. In about 10 seconds the blue PROSCAN screen will appear. Continue to keep black power button held, and release paperclip.
3. A few seconds later you will see an Android ‘guy’ lying on his back with belly open, and a red triangle (with !) symbol hovering above his belly. Release power button. This means we are on the verge of being able to break things. Note that after a minute or so, if no further action is taken, the tablet will shut down, and then be restarted normally.
4. Press and hold power button. Insert and remove paperclip. You will see a screen titled Android system recovery. (Note that repeated insertion of the paper clip will alternate the display of the Recovery menu). Release power button.
5. Use paperclip to scroll down the list of options. To reset the tablet, select wipe data/factory reset. Press power button to make the selection. (If you go past the desired option, keep on clicking, as the selection will scroll back to the top once at the bottom).
6. Once reset has been selected, you are now at the final chance to back out or commit. All the menu items, except for one are labeled No. To commit to the reset, select Yes – delete all user data and then press power button.
7. The wiping process starts, and after a few seconds will complete.
8. Menu selection reboot system now should be highlighted. Press power button to select.
You now have a fresh, clean tablet. Enjoy.